Follow us on facebook

©2010 Intense Rezultz
All Rights Reserved.


Max Levine
02/18/91 – 04/08
10 years old at diagnosis
Philadelphia, PA USA
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP

In March 2001, when he was 10-years-old, Max Levine came home from school complaining of hip pain. We thought it was growing pains. His pediatricians thought it was loose joints. And the rheumatologists at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) thought it might be Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. In October of that year, Max was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma, a relatively rare pediatric cancer. At that very moment, our entire world was turned upside down.

After a biopsy, Max started the first of five difficult rounds of high dose chemotherapy at CHOP. After the five rounds of chemotherapy, Max underwent a stem cell transplant. At one point, we were told to prepare ourselves for the worst as an infection had landed him in the Intensive Care Unit, but much to everyone’s surprise, Max made it through and was soon dubbed “Miracle Max” by the PICU nurses. After more than 7 months of intense treatment, Max’s doctors declared him “in remission.”

Unfortunately his remission did not last long and b November 2002, it became apparent that the Neuroblastoma was back. Once again, Max began chemotherapy. Unfortunately, there is no cure for relapsed Neuroblastoma, and no set treatment, just a series of trials and off-the-shelf chemotherapies. Max took it all in stride. He learned how to take everything one day at a time. He continued going to school through these new treatments. He still did all the things he loved – he played video games, went to summer camp, and went to amusement parks to ride the most frightening roller coasters in existence.

He had the opportunity to meet the people who make “The Simpsons,” thanks to a friend that arranged for Max to attend a table reading in California, where the actors read the script aloud for the first time. Later, he was invited to attend the world premiere of The Simpsons Movie in Los Angeles, CA. Even a case of the chicken pox could not keep him away! Max was also able to celebrate his Bar Mitzvah with almost 200 of his closest friends and relatives in attendance.

In 2005, Max agreed to be interviewed for a local TV feature about Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF). From that day forward, Max spoke on behalf of ALSF whenever and wherever he could. He hosted lemonade stands, and encouraged others to do so too. In 2006, his high school held a coffee house and raised more than $8,000 in one evening in honor of Max. He was very aware that several of his treatments were made possible by the funds raised by ALSF.

For six full years, Max lived relatively easy with his cancer, but by the fall of 2007, it was becoming obvious that Max was starting to lose his battle with the disease. His doctor was running out of treatments and Max was running out of time.

In April 2008, at the age of 17, Max passed away at home, surrounded by family and his beloved kitties.

Through all of his treatment and pain, Max never let cancer define who he was or what he wanted out of life. Even the day before he died, he sat watching TV with his best friend Matt, a cancer survivor himself, laughing and joking. He was in pain and felt terrible, but he could still laugh. Max didn’t let his disease stop him from traveling, going to school or creating incredible art. It didn’t stop him from playing video games or hanging out with friends. It didn’t stop him from being a wonderful son, brother and friend.

Be sure to follow the M&M Fund on Facebook via Causes:

A local Philadelphia station helped raise awareness of Neuroblastoma with a tribute video to Max and Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation
-Aired on CBS3 KYW-TV in June of 2008-